Someone is coming “Two wrongs don’t make a right” (02-12-2018)
I want to highlight two news stories from this week…
- Harry Redknapp – Chivalry
- In the jungle for ‘I’m a Celebrity’
- The camp mates all shower under a waterfall
- Harry looked away whilst the women showered and said
“The only woman I want to see in a bikini…is my wife”
- Egyptian Actress – Rania Youseff is facing a trial
- Wore a dress to the Cairo Film Festival
- It was deemed to be ‘too revealing’
- Is charged with ‘inciting debauchery’
- Dancers, singers and others have faced similar trials
- Listen up…
- Two cultural reactions to women and their bodies… Chivalry & Debauchery!
- We live in a overtly over sexualised culture – it’s normalised in adverts, magazines, TV shows & the internet!
- We’re going to be exploring an event that has served as a plot line in opera, film and TV!
- Before we get to this event I need to set the scene…
- We’ve followed down Seth’s family tree…
- David – Shepherd boy – Kills a lion & a bear
- Anointed by Samuel
- Kills Goliath
- Serves Saul – despite death threats
- Writes many of the Psalms
- Becomes King & mourns the death of Saul & Jonathan.
- Establishes Jerusalem & Extends the kingdom!
- He’s taken a hareem of wives – uh-oh! c.f. Deuteronomy 17:17
- Have you ever heard the phrase – ‘Two wrongs don’t make a right!”?…
- ‘Wrong Place’
‘In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle…David remained at Jerusalem.’ vs. 1
- Where would you expect David to be – Where is he?
- He’s home in the palace with nothing to do – he’d been having an afternoon nap!
- Have you ever had a ‘lazy day’ and felt more tired as a result – that’s David!
- ‘A bored man is a dangerous man….
Men – God designed you to go to bed tired!’ – Matt Chandler
- We have responsibilities that we were created to fulfil – God, church, work, wife & kids!
- I need to work on this…I have struggled since moving away from the farm!
- ‘Wrong Thought’
‘…David sent and inquired about the woman’ vs. 3
- We had an interesting discussion on Friday night at Xcel – “But she shouldn’t have been bathing on the roof!“
- David ~ A Man of Passion & Destiny by Charles R. Swindoll – neither party is blameless but David is the ‘aggressor’!
- Commentators point out that the word used for ‘beautiful‘ is limited to the physical form.
- Look at what the servant reports in the rest of the verse – ‘the wife of Uriah the Hittite!’
- ‘Wrong Heart’
‘…But the thing that David had done displeased the Lord.’ vs. 26 c.f vs. 25 ‘Don’t let it displease you’
- Have you noticed something…this is the first mention of God in this whole sorry affair!
- Temptation by Deitrich Bonhoeffer – ‘The Devil doesn’t fill you with hatred for God, but with forgetfulness of God’
- There was an established pattern of weakness for David – his hareem!
- Catastrophic moral failure doesn’t happen in one night!
- David – once described as ‘a man after God’s heart’ – has committed these acts!
- ‘…anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.’ 1 Cor 10:12
- We mustn’t ever become complacent or casual about these things
- ‘Wrong Place’
‘No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.’ – 1 Corinthians 10:13
- Right Affections…
- When Paul is writing to the Corinthians he tells them that they can’t expect to endure if they have split allegiances
- God is faithful – Start here!
- ‘The Moment to Shout’ by Luis Palau – I remember being stunned when I read these words!
- Our ability, or strength to endure is not our own – it’s the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit (We must choose to access it!)
- Our heart is the start – What do you treasure above all things?
- What is it that you desire most?
- The Holy Spirit is at work within us to bring to light the false gods in our heart and replace them with Jesus!
- God makes a way back – you can’t sort it out yourself
– two wrongs don’t make a right!
- If you’re struggling with a regular temptation – I want to pray for us now…
- Lead to Right Reactions…
‘Therefore…flee idolatry’ vs. 14
- Fleeing temptation only works if you have somewhere to flee to!
- Soldier with PTSD – looking for the exit points when he arrives!
- Don’t court disaster with you own personal temptations – and think of others too!
- When facing temptation we shouldn’t ever utter “I’ll beat it this time!” but “Jesus has already won this for me”
- Don’t turn and hide, join and abide – live out life in community – with all it’s twists, turns, joys and tears!
- …but wait a minute!
- As this account ends were still left wondering…If it isn’t David…Who will come to the rescue?
👣 ACTION STATEMENT:
It is only in Jesus that we find victory over sin, and strength to conquer temptation!
Other Sermons In This Series
February 17, 2019